On the 14th of August, 1946, a committee of citizens came together to try and bring fire protection to the community of Rockaway Beach. The chairman of that committee, B. Fitzwater called the meeting to order at Decker’s Restaurant. With unanimous approval, the Rockaway Beach VFC was formed and the officers elected. In November, 1946, we purchased our first engine, a 1930 Mack. When our company was started, we originally housed our engine in a garage on Rockaway Beach Avenue. In 1949 we moved to our new home on Greyhound and Turkey Point Roads. In May, 1972 we dedicated a new metal, prefab building. This set a precedent in the county, because until then only block buildings were allowed. Since the very first day in August of 1946, our company has strived to provide service to our community in their time of need. We have achieved and maintained a high level of training and excellence throughout our 50 plus year history. While our responsibility has grown, our desire to provide service has not wavered. We now protect the Back River area with the help of our sister companies of the eastern and western portion of Baltimore County. Currently we have about 50 members to serve our community. New members are always a welcomed addition to the history of our company.